The Breathless Fantasy...

There's A Fine Line Between Fantasy And Reality... I'm Dancing On That Line

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, The Big Apple, United States

My heart guides me, but my mind always finds me..... "I could be in the street, I could be on a train, Or struck in some doorway down, In the pouring rain, Now there is not one place, That doesn't feel like home...."

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Trip To Bountiful...


"Carrie Watts longs to return to her childhood home of Bountiful, Texas, where she hasn't been in thirty years. Despite her failing health, she grows more determined to escape from the tiny Houston apartment she shares with her soft-spoken son and watchful daughter-in-law. Finally she gets her chance to head homeward, and it is the journey of a lifetime."

On November 15th, at The Peter Norton Space, I'll be seeing it performed live. The movie brought me to tears on more than one occasion. This sweet, southern, Christian elderly woman loved singing hymns, and wanted to see her childhood home once more, before dying. I remember the emotion I felt when she was driven up to her home. The light in her eyes, she was alive, for the first time in years. She was out of the cage her daughter-in-law forced her to live in, and was free. Free to remember, to be a little girl again, if only for the few moments she was given.

When I hear the hymn "Softly and Tenderly", I always begin to cry. If this play is half as moving as the movie, I'll probably need therapy once it's over. Susan doesn't handle it very well either. There's something about "Southern Hymns", that just makes you cry. Maybe it's the guilt we're brought up with, or just the love and pain that you've felt when hearing the hymns that make them so painful. Either way, a tear will always escape my eyes when hearing them.

I really should be in bed instead of sitting here typing. I've had a hard time concentrating on much of anything today. I was up way too late last night, and once again, here I sit. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow. Hopefully I can catch up on some laundry and pay the bills- UGH. I've been putting that one off as long as I can. Citibank and Chase would really appreciate if I'd pay them.

It's nearly 2:00am, I really need to be sleeping. Time to go "count the sheep". Hopefully I'll fall asleep before I have to uncover myself in order to count more!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shadow of a Joke said...

I've never actually heard of the movie, but it does sound interesting. I hope you enjoy seeing it live.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Prairie Doug said...

Sounds very caught up in your own longing. Maybe,New York holds you in fantasy and Tennessee calls to you in reality. Enjoy and I'm sure you'll need a box of kleenex.
God Bless You *S*

9:31 AM  
Blogger Ames said...

Just from reading the description it sounds like the kind of movie I would cry at, too. It sounds very good. Enjoy seeing it!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  • Not A Typical Night...
  • Life- As I Know It...
  • Last Night...
  • Tonight...
  • Wednesday Night...
  • Run Baby Run...
  • I Can't Believe It...
  • Now That I'm Relatively Calm...
  • One Beautiful Sunday...
  • Dreams Do Come True...
  • Most Wonderful Night...
  • Most Magical Night Of My Life...
  • What Were The Chances...
  • Time Heals All Wounds...
  • Sparkling Sangria...


  • MySpace Icon Collage


  • The Pirate King...
  • Mikey's Subway Chick...
  • Olivia AKA: Elliot's Woman...
  • Elliot Stabler...
  • The Woman Who Has To Deal With Mike...
  • Support From Day One...
  • Paranoid Detective...
  • My Aunt Is Not As Old As This Man...
  • A Dear, Precious Friend...
  • Life...As I Know It...
  • My Penguin Pal...
  • Displaced New Yorker...
  • Amy...
  • Janice...
  • Deb...
  • Faye...
  • Jules...
  • Hannala...
  • A Year In The Life Of...
  • Let Me Go On And On...
  • Inspiration Comes Easy...
  • Kara's Place...
  • Nights in Rodanthe...
  • Malcolm's Page...
  • Castle Shima...
  • Agape...
  • Betty On The Beach...
  • Sunshine Lipstick...
  • Go With The Flow...
  • Slackers With Advanced Degrees...
  • Hollow...
  • The Wildest Woman I Know...
  • Nice Guys Finish Last...
  • Musings & Mad Ramblings...
  • Another Very Dark Place...
  • Laura Elizabeth...
  • Suzanne...
  • Lorrie...
  • Tess...
  • Never Forget...
  • In Memory...