The Breathless Fantasy...

There's A Fine Line Between Fantasy And Reality... I'm Dancing On That Line

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, The Big Apple, United States

My heart guides me, but my mind always finds me..... "I could be in the street, I could be on a train, Or struck in some doorway down, In the pouring rain, Now there is not one place, That doesn't feel like home...."

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Of All Things...

I didn't need this. I've been sick with worry over "Emma", and her condition, now I have another to worry about. Verna, a dear friend and former co-worker of mine from Bristol, was diagnosed with liver cancer this morning. My heart is broken. "Momma Verna", we all called her. She was the matriarch of "Proffitts' Bristol". Verna was the glue that held the store together. Proffitts' Bristol was the smallest, and oldest store in the Proffitts' chain. Formerly owned by Saks 5th Avenue, we really thought we were something special. My Elizabeth Arden counter was over 20 years old, but I took pride in it. I was only 16 at the time, but I felt important, as if the job I held, was a job of dignity and prestige. Quality, Integrity, Service- that was the "Proffitt's Motto". At 66, Verna ran circles around all of the high school girls who worked with her. She took care of each of us, but above all- she showed us the type of person we wanted to be.

Verna thanked God every day she walked through the "employee" door. She was thankful she was able to work and provide her customers with the best service possible. She worked hard. She was the best, there's no question about that. In April of this year, on her way back from lunch, she fell outside of the lower level, breaking her arm in three different areas. She was in the hospital for nearly two months. I went home to visit her in May. She was in good spirits and looking forward to coming back to work. I stopped by my old store. It was just as I remembered it. My counter, it hadn't changed in 11 years. It's as if I'd never left. Lots of my friends were still there, along with several new faces. It was good to be back with my "family".

Verna returned to work in August, however, she wasn't able to do what was once able to do. She left sick every day, which was no like her. Verna could've been on her deathbed and she would come to work. She's been sick off and on since then. Geraldine, her best friend, and a person dear to me, told me that everyone had finally convinced Verna to see a doctor. She was hospitalized immediately. Geraldine told me she had put off calling me long enough. She knew she had to, even though telling me was one of the hardest things she's ever had to do. I don't know how long Verna has, unfortunately, I don't believe it's long. Geraldine said her legs were so swollen that she wasn't even able to walk. Her heart is giving out. She begins chemotherapy in the morning, however, they asked her this afternoon for a copy of her living will.

I knew immediately what that meant. There's not much time. I can't stand it. I love Verna so much. She gave her life to Proffitts' and her Proffitts' family. She loves each of us as if we were her children. It doesn't matter how long it's been since we've worked there, to her, we will always work there. I sat down tonight after speaking with Geraldine, looking at pictures from the store. One that brought me to tears was of a bunch of "the girls" in "Big Daddy's" office *that's what we called our manager Ron*. We were all gathered around his desk, and on the wall behind him, was a big picture frame that said "Family is Forever" with miscellaneous pictures of employees from the store.

We truly were family. I've never worked in an environment like that since. We all looked out for one another, if someone was hurting, we hurt with them. We picked each other up when we were down, and gave someone a smile if they didn't have one. You don't find places of employment like that now. In April of this year, Belk stores purchased all 44 Proffitts' stores in 14 states. Since there was a Belk in the Bristol Mall, our store was one of the first to go. Even though it's been years since I've worked there, I don't know that I could've handled seeing my counter destroyed. It wasn't much, but it was mine. The store, it was ours.

When the store went, I believe Verna's will to live did as well. She's gone down hill fast since the Belk transition. Geraldine said she didn't take it well, and wasn't planning on going to Belk to work. Verna's job was her life. She lived for her co-workers and her customers.

When I spoke with her tonight, she didn't sound well at all. Her voice was soft and weak. She asked me to pray for her. "I told her I always have, and I always will. I want her to fight until the Lord tells her to stop. And when he says it's time to stop and come home, go with him. Make a place for us, we'll be with you one day. I love you "Momma Verna", and I always will." I don't want her to give up, but at the same time, I don't want to see her suffering. I can't stand seeing someone suffer, especially someone I love. I need to make time to go back home. I need to see Verna one last time. Please, tell those whom you love, that you love them. Don't waste an opportunity, for you never know when it may be the last.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ames said...

Your store sounds like my store--well, most of the people at my store, anyway. We're very close, as well.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. You're both in my thoughts.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  • Not A Typical Night...
  • Life- As I Know It...
  • Last Night...
  • Tonight...
  • Wednesday Night...
  • Run Baby Run...
  • I Can't Believe It...
  • Now That I'm Relatively Calm...
  • One Beautiful Sunday...
  • Dreams Do Come True...
  • Most Wonderful Night...
  • Most Magical Night Of My Life...
  • What Were The Chances...
  • Time Heals All Wounds...
  • Sparkling Sangria...


  • MySpace Icon Collage


  • The Pirate King...
  • Mikey's Subway Chick...
  • Olivia AKA: Elliot's Woman...
  • Elliot Stabler...
  • The Woman Who Has To Deal With Mike...
  • Support From Day One...
  • Paranoid Detective...
  • My Aunt Is Not As Old As This Man...
  • A Dear, Precious Friend...
  • Life...As I Know It...
  • My Penguin Pal...
  • Displaced New Yorker...
  • Amy...
  • Janice...
  • Deb...
  • Faye...
  • Jules...
  • Hannala...
  • A Year In The Life Of...
  • Let Me Go On And On...
  • Inspiration Comes Easy...
  • Kara's Place...
  • Nights in Rodanthe...
  • Malcolm's Page...
  • Castle Shima...
  • Agape...
  • Betty On The Beach...
  • Sunshine Lipstick...
  • Go With The Flow...
  • Slackers With Advanced Degrees...
  • Hollow...
  • The Wildest Woman I Know...
  • Nice Guys Finish Last...
  • Musings & Mad Ramblings...
  • Another Very Dark Place...
  • Laura Elizabeth...
  • Suzanne...
  • Lorrie...
  • Tess...
  • Never Forget...
  • In Memory...