The Breathless Fantasy...

There's A Fine Line Between Fantasy And Reality... I'm Dancing On That Line

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, The Big Apple, United States

My heart guides me, but my mind always finds me..... "I could be in the street, I could be on a train, Or struck in some doorway down, In the pouring rain, Now there is not one place, That doesn't feel like home...."

Friday, January 06, 2006

Breathing In...



A breath of the cold New York air. When you walk the streets of New York at night, you see the theater of the living. There's nothing like it. The night was cold as ice, but I needed the chill to remind me just how human I really am. I'm breathing- barely breathing. I passed a family as I walked home from rehearsal. They were cold, their clothes were ragged, and looked as if they didn't know where their next meal was coming from- my heart went out to them. I wanted to go to them, to give them all the money I had, to feed them, help them- just something. I passed a man who was singing at the top of his lungs, to everyone, and no one. Lost in his own little world. What euphoria that must be- not having to deal with the stress of reality.

I got lost in the faces, captivated by the sights of each individual. I saw a thousand emotions in a matter of minutes. If you allow yourself to look around, it can overwhelm you. It's in your face, so you either deal with it, or you don't. You either cave in, or harden your heart- there's no purgatory on the streets of New York City.

After a harsh reality check, I needed to escape. I needed to dance. I walked down to the dance studio. There are no classes on thursday night, so I knew I could dance my heart out, and on one would bother me. I could cleanse my mind, body and soul through dance. I changed my clothes and played the entire "Flashdance" CD. Flashdance. How ironic is it that a movie about a welder/exotic dancer produced so many beautiful artistic dance routines? I know each dance by heart. I feel the music. I feel the dance. It reminds me I'm alive, and what an outstanding gift God has given me.

I didn't close the blinds. Anyone walking down the streets could watch me. It didn't matter. I had nothing to hide, and nothing to show. I wasn't performing for anyone but myself. I was pushing myself for me. I was breaking through, re-connecting with who I am. I was absolutely exhausted by the time CD was finished. I sat down wearily against the wall of mirrors and took a good hard look at myself. I really, looked at myself. I'm pushing 30. I've been riding through my life being the "nice girl", the "sweet girl", the "sister". I'm a woman. I have thoughts. I have interests. I have needs. What am I doing about this? Going to the bars and getting drunk isn't cutting it.

I stood up, wiping the tears from my eyes. I'm ready to start over. I'm ready to be who I was born to be, not who I was made to be. I'm ready to do what I expect of me, not what everyone else expects. As I spun around one last time, I saw someone watching me out of the corner of my eye. By the time I was able to turn around- they were gone. I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman, nor do I know how long they were watching me. It doesn't matter- it's not about them, it's about me. It's about looking forward, without fear.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you :) You're gonna be fine.

hmmmmmmmm I wonder who was watching you? I hope it was a he who's tall, dark, and handsome :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger ann said...

Chloe, good on ha girl .... move forward .... but watch your back.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

1:29 PM  
Blogger ann said...

sorry, Chloe, should read:

good on ya girl ...

silly typo ... silly me!

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Criminal Minds Fan said...

Right attitude Chloe. You can't keep beating yourself up for being human. :)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Faye_Hart said...

Hey, that's the ticket. Live life for yourself.....I need a t-shirt that says that. That and men are stinky.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I know they make one that says "Boys stink"

I'm happy with my new T -
"Just say "No," Alice"
You can give up the drugs, but the drug humor is still funny.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

What's the purpose of a blog anyway, right? It's "all about the person writing it"...I loved this post!

Doesn't matter what age you are. You just need to 'enjoy the journey'...live for the moment, but look forward to the future. Never regret your past, because it's what made you who you are today.

Your posts always inspire me, even if I'm pushing 32... ugh.....

Keep writing girl!

11:28 AM  
Blogger kacey said...

It's gonna be ok. I'm older than that, I've done some messed up things, (yeah, lost it to someone with schizotypal personality disorder. talk about just PLAIN WRONG...)

Point is, you're human and just as entitled to think what you think, feel what you feel and want what you want as anyone is. No guilt, no shame. Hold your head high.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  • Not A Typical Night...
  • Life- As I Know It...
  • Last Night...
  • Tonight...
  • Wednesday Night...
  • Run Baby Run...
  • I Can't Believe It...
  • Now That I'm Relatively Calm...
  • One Beautiful Sunday...
  • Dreams Do Come True...
  • Most Wonderful Night...
  • Most Magical Night Of My Life...
  • What Were The Chances...
  • Time Heals All Wounds...
  • Sparkling Sangria...


  • MySpace Icon Collage


  • The Pirate King...
  • Mikey's Subway Chick...
  • Olivia AKA: Elliot's Woman...
  • Elliot Stabler...
  • The Woman Who Has To Deal With Mike...
  • Support From Day One...
  • Paranoid Detective...
  • My Aunt Is Not As Old As This Man...
  • A Dear, Precious Friend...
  • Life...As I Know It...
  • My Penguin Pal...
  • Displaced New Yorker...
  • Amy...
  • Janice...
  • Deb...
  • Faye...
  • Jules...
  • Hannala...
  • A Year In The Life Of...
  • Let Me Go On And On...
  • Inspiration Comes Easy...
  • Kara's Place...
  • Nights in Rodanthe...
  • Malcolm's Page...
  • Castle Shima...
  • Agape...
  • Betty On The Beach...
  • Sunshine Lipstick...
  • Go With The Flow...
  • Slackers With Advanced Degrees...
  • Hollow...
  • The Wildest Woman I Know...
  • Nice Guys Finish Last...
  • Musings & Mad Ramblings...
  • Another Very Dark Place...
  • Laura Elizabeth...
  • Suzanne...
  • Lorrie...
  • Tess...
  • Never Forget...
  • In Memory...