The Breathless Fantasy...

There's A Fine Line Between Fantasy And Reality... I'm Dancing On That Line

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, The Big Apple, United States

My heart guides me, but my mind always finds me..... "I could be in the street, I could be on a train, Or struck in some doorway down, In the pouring rain, Now there is not one place, That doesn't feel like home...."

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Remember and Reflect

I received this e-mail not long ago. It made me really stop and reflect on my life, and how truly blessed I am.


Ruth went to her mail box and there was only one letter.
She picked it up and looked at it before opening, but
then she looked at the envelope again.

There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and
address. She read the letter:

Dear Ruth:

I`m going to be in your neighborhood
Saturday afternoon and I'd like to stop
by for a visit.

Love Always, Jesus

Her hands were shaking as she placed
the letter on the table.

"Why would the Lord want to visit me?

I'm nobody special. I don't have
anything to offer."

With that thought, Ruth remembered her
empty kitchen cabinets. "Oh my
goodness, I really don't have anything
to offer. I'll have to run down to
the store and buy something for dinner."

She reached for her purse and
counted out its contents. Five
dollars and forty cents. "Well, I can get
some bread and cold cuts, at least."
She threw on her coat and hurried out
the door.

A loaf of French bread, a half-pound
of sliced turkey, and a carton of
milk..leaving Ruth with grand total
twelve cents to last her until Monday.

Nonetheless, she felt good as she
headed home, her meager offerings tucked
under her arm.

"Hey lady, can you help us, lady?"
Ruth had been so absorbed in her
dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two
figures huddled in the alleyway. A man
and a woman, both of them dressed in
little more than rags

"Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya
know, and my wife and I have been living
out here on the street, and, well, now
it's getting cold and we're getting
kinda hungry and, well, if you could
help us. Lady, we'd really appreciate it."

Ruth looked at them both.
They were dirty, they smelled bad and
frankly, she was certain that they
could get some kind of work if they
really wanted to.

"Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a
poor woman myself. All I have is a few
cold cuts and some bread, and I'm
having an important guest for dinner
tonight and I was planning on serving
that to Him."

"Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand.
Thanks anyway."

The man put his arm around the woman's
shoulders, turned and headed back
into the alley.

As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a
familiar twinge in her heart.

"Sir, wait!" The couple stopped and
turned as she ran down the alley after
them. "Look, why don't you take this
food. I'll figure out something else to
serve my guest."

She handed the man her grocery bag.
"Thank you lady. Thank you very much!"
"Yes, thank you!" It was the man's
wife, and Ruth could see now that she was
shivering. "You know, I've got another
coat at home. Here, why don't you
take this one." Ruth unbuttoned her
jacket and slipped it over the woman's
shoulders. Then smiling, she turned
and walked back to the street...without
her coat and with nothing to serve her
guest.

"Thank you lady! Thank you very much!"

Ruth was chilled by the time she
reached her front door, and worried too.
The Lord was coming to visit and she
didn't have anything to offer Him.

She fumbled through her purse for the
door key. But as she did, she noticed
another envelope in her mailbox.

"That's odd. The mailman doesn't
usually come twice in one day." She took
the envelope out of the box and opened it.

Dear Ruth:

It was so good to see you again. Thank
you for the lovely meal. And thank
you, too, for the beautiful coat.

Love Always,
Jesus

The air was still cold, but even
without her coat, Ruth no longer noticed...


I've spent the past week feeling sorry for myself. I've been frustrated over "Emma's" situation, and not being able to provide better care for her. I've been so upset over Verna's condition, wondering why it had to happen to her? Why now? Two people I love very much, one hurting, one dying. It's really brought me down. I haven't taken the time to realize, these people are in my life for a reason. I'm truly blessed to be a part of their life, reguardless of how long it may be. Even though they are sick, they're fortunate. We don't worry where our next meal is coming from, or if we'll have a warm place to sleep tonight. We do, and we don't give it a second thought.

In New York, on every corner, you can find a homeless person. Someone who lies upon a stone pillow to sleep. Who's next meal will come from a dumpster or if they're lucky, a handout from a stranger. So often I take for granted the simple everyday comforts I enjoy. A shower, a nice comfy bed, a warm meal, clothes to protect me from the cold- things so many people go without. Seeing someone homeless has always broken my heart. I could barely stand seeing the few homeless people we had in Elizabethton, much less the masses in New York City. The salt of the earth, the forgotten, they have nothing. I have been so blessed with friends, family, a job, a home, food on my table, and clothes on my back. Things most people take for granted, these people would give their right arm to have.

This is the one time of year when we focus on giving thanks. Give thanks to those you love for what you have been blessed with, and remember those who are less fortunate. Give what you can, be it your time, love, support, food or clothing, the reward you receive will be greater than any possession that could be bought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ames said...

"This is the one time of year when we focus on giving thanks."

You're right. And it's kinda sad. These people are in the same situation for the rest of the year, too. Why is it just Thanksgiving to Christmas we make the extra effort to help them? I use 'we' loosely, because there are people year round who do help. But it's only now that the masses jump in.

Everything happens for a reason. Hang in there Chloe, I'm thinking of you.

:-)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Chloe' Gardner said...

Thanks Amey :0) You're a good friend :0)

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  • Not A Typical Night...
  • Life- As I Know It...
  • Last Night...
  • Tonight...
  • Wednesday Night...
  • Run Baby Run...
  • I Can't Believe It...
  • Now That I'm Relatively Calm...
  • One Beautiful Sunday...
  • Dreams Do Come True...
  • Most Wonderful Night...
  • Most Magical Night Of My Life...
  • What Were The Chances...
  • Time Heals All Wounds...
  • Sparkling Sangria...


  • MySpace Icon Collage


  • The Pirate King...
  • Mikey's Subway Chick...
  • Olivia AKA: Elliot's Woman...
  • Elliot Stabler...
  • The Woman Who Has To Deal With Mike...
  • Support From Day One...
  • Paranoid Detective...
  • My Aunt Is Not As Old As This Man...
  • A Dear, Precious Friend...
  • Life...As I Know It...
  • My Penguin Pal...
  • Displaced New Yorker...
  • Amy...
  • Janice...
  • Deb...
  • Faye...
  • Jules...
  • Hannala...
  • A Year In The Life Of...
  • Let Me Go On And On...
  • Inspiration Comes Easy...
  • Kara's Place...
  • Nights in Rodanthe...
  • Malcolm's Page...
  • Castle Shima...
  • Agape...
  • Betty On The Beach...
  • Sunshine Lipstick...
  • Go With The Flow...
  • Slackers With Advanced Degrees...
  • Hollow...
  • The Wildest Woman I Know...
  • Nice Guys Finish Last...
  • Musings & Mad Ramblings...
  • Another Very Dark Place...
  • Laura Elizabeth...
  • Suzanne...
  • Lorrie...
  • Tess...
  • Never Forget...
  • In Memory...